Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze

Coconut Banana Bread with Lime GlazeCoconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze (Adapted from CL)

For the bread

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (you can use all-purpose if desired)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
1/4 cup plain yogurt
3 tablespoons dark rum
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons flaked sweetened coconut, divided

For the topping

1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

To make the bread

Preheat oven to 350

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.

In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar until well combined. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add banana, yogurt, rum and vanilla - mix until blended. Pour in the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Fold in 1/2 cup coconut.

Scoop the mixture into a 9" x 5" loaf pan coated with nonstick spray. Scatter the batter with the remaining 1 tablespoon coconut. Bake until a toothpick placed in the center comes out mostly clean with a few moist crumbs attached, about 55 to 65 minutes. Remove and let the bread cool in the pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Turn the bread out onto a wire rack, top side up.

To make the topping

In a small bowl, stir together confectioners' sugar and juice - drizzle over warm bread. Let sit on the wire rack to cool completely.

Just found the recipe? Click here to see where we talked about it!

8 comments:

  1. I've made this bread for several years now, and it's absolutely one of my favorite banana breads. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as I saw the name, I thought...Cooking Light.

    Is this not the BEST banana bread recipe ever?? I've probably made it six times in the last 2 months. I had to go buy more meyer's rum just so I could make the bread again. I won't make any other bread recipe now that I have this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carole - I hope that is a good Wow!

    Lyricfox - I can see us making this quite a few times in the future!

    Sharon - It is very good! I'd love to try it with a coconut rum too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You were my big recipe source this weekend (My 3rd comment). This is the best banana bread I have eaten, and I have years of eating experience! And it's pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sally - This is one of our favorite banana breads! Thanks for giving it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got done making this for about the 5th or 6th time. I love the basic recipe for the bread, and it's very easy to adapt. I tend to add toasted nuts and/or white chocolate chips when I make this, and cut down on shredded coconut and instead use coconut extract (not a fan of coconut myself, but my boyfriend loves it; the extract is a nice compromise). Thanks!

    -A

    ReplyDelete
  7. A - Love the White chocolate add! Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete