Sunday, May 15, 2005

Edamame with Pesto and Cavatappi

Edamame with Pesto and Cavatappi (Adapted from CL)

1 cup fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 garlic clove, quartered
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
16 ounces dry cavatappi pasta
3 cups frozen shelled edamame
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved
2 ounces fresh grated Parmesan cheese

In a food processor, add basil, mint, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic. Process until finely chopped. With the processor running, slowly drizzle in oil through food chute - continue to process until well combined, scraping the sides as necessary.

In a large pot of boiling, salted water, add pasta and cook according to package directions. When there are 4 minutes left before the pasta is done, stir in edamame. When done, reserve about 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid, then drain pasta and edamame well.

Place the pasta and edamame back into the pot - add the pesto mixture and toss until well combined, adding enough of the reserved cooking liquid to thin out the pesto if needed. Add tomatoes and toss gently to combine. Serve each portion with a sprinkling of the Parmesan cheese.

Makes about 6 servings.

Just found the recipe? Click here to see where we talked about it!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joe, I read your blog daily but I've only cooked a few of your recipes so far. I made this one tonight because I had a bag of edamame in the freezer and tons of basil and mint in the garden. I have only used my food processor a couple of times so I think making the pesto took me longer than it should have. It was a hit! Even my finicky husband went back for thirds. I am a vegetarian, so I appreciate all your meatless recipes. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joann - I'm glad it worked well for you in the end! We really enjoyed this dish too.

    ReplyDelete