Thursday, May 19, 2005

Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles

Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles (Adapted from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar)

For the cookie dough

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
3 tablespoons soy, almond or regular milk (if using regular milk, the cookies won't be vegan)
2 teaspoons vanilla

For the sugar coating

1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

To prepare cookie dough

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cayenne and salt.

In a medium bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, maple syrup, milk and vanilla. Pour mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring with a wooden spoon until combined.

To prepare sugar coating

In a shallow dish, stir together sugar and cinnamon.

Roll dough into walnut sized balls, then gently flatten each ball into a 2" disc. Place once side of the dough disc into the sugar coating, pressing to adhere. Place dough, sugar side up, onto parchment-lined baking sheets, spacing them at least 2" apart.

Place into the oven and bake until the cookies have spread and are crackly on top, about 9 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and place baking sheet on a wire rack - let cookies cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Makes about 24 cookies.

Just found the recipe? Click here to see where we talked about it!

18 comments:

  1. These look AMAZING. I will definitely be trying out this recipe, can't wait. I love the addition of cayenne powder, foods that play with senses like sweet/ spicy, salty/ sweet etc are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These cookies look incredible! Can't imagine the punch from the cayenne pepper. When I read the title, I mis-read it, thinking Mexican "Hot Chocolate" snickerdoodles - thought hot chocolate was the secret ingredient. HA!

    I have a suggestion for a new blog title when you move, since it changes with your location. How about: Culinary in the Queen City (Queen City is our nickname from Queen Charlotte, who our city is named after!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, those really do look fabulous! I love snickerdoodles and I love the combo of chocolate and spice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "(if using regular milk, the cookies won't be vegan)"

    You are too funny!! Do you think the Vegans know?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Monstroxity - Thanks!

    Melissa - Yeah, a lot of people thought the same thing at the office this morning! Good call on the name!

    Jennifer - I hope you give 'em a try!

    Nicole - Just trying to cover my base...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting. Very curious to try the cayenne pepper in a cookie. Definitely going to give these a try. I know my daughter will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooooo these sound soooooo gooood! and vegan- you know I've got to make these! Thanks for sharing and good luck with all the packing moving etc!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooooo these sound soooooo gooood! and vegan- you know I've got to make these! Thanks for sharing and good luck with all the packing moving etc!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ann - Enjoy!

    Cheryl - Thanks! Coming up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Nummy! I will be trying these. Just one word to the wise though, anything made with chocolate is not vegan unless it is specified as vegan chocolate. Chocolate is normally processed with dairy and bone char. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just had one fresh from the oven and I have got to say that these are probably my newest favorite cookie ever! These may be my new signature cookie to take to events, thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum! These are a treat. I made them without cayenne (for kiddos) and I still find the cinnamon leaves a nice heat behind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made this yesterday for an office thingie, and put a warning on it since many have problems with spicy stuff. I would think being in West Texas spicy chocolate would hit the spot. No one bothered. Spicy chocolate? Too exotic for me. This morning a co-worker asked for the recepie. His wife and son loved them. Well, I made someone happy. :-)
    Merry Christmas, y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These came out delicious. :) Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just letting you know that I linked to this post on my page about Gourmet Hot Chocolate Recipes: http://www.zujava.com/gourmet-hot-chocolate-recipe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just made these...they are delicious!! Perfect blend of sweet and spicy. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Made these today for my husband - very nice (we used full amount of cayenne b/c he likes spicy). Modified them a bit - like used half spelt and reduced sugar.
    Kika

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made these tonight. They are delicious! I love the little kick.

    ReplyDelete