Friday, June 10, 2005

Beef Tagine with Dried Plums and Toasted Almonds

Beef Tagine with Dried Plums and Toasted Almonds (Adapted from CL)

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons Ras el Hanout *See below for spice ingredients
24 ounces boneless sirloin steak, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cups chopped onions
1 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
14 ounces beef broth
1 1/2 cups pitted dried plums
2 1/2 tablespoons honey
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Preheat oven to 425

In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Add Ras el Hanout and toast for 30 seconds. Stir in beef and cook about 3 minutes. Mix in onions, water, salt, and broth. Cover and and place in the oven to bake for 1 hour. Carefully remove from the oven and stir in dried plums and honey. Place back in the oven to cook for 15 more minutes. Remove and sprinkle with almonds before serving.

Ras el Hanout seasoning

1 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoons ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

In a small bowl, whisk together all ingredients - this makes more than you need, but you can use it as a seasoning for other cuts of beef or on salmon.

Click here to be taken to the main post

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I just made this last Sunday for my husband and I. I thought the sauce was a bit thin as well. I took the lid off while it was cooking in the oven, like the recipe suggested, but it never got any thicker.
    It had a wonderful flavor and the meat was great- but it was a little too sweet for me. I would cut back on the honey, too. I think the plums added a nice flavor - but I think I would reduce the amount - there were alot of them - and although I love them straight from the carton -they were kind of mushy from being in stew and I started to avoid them as I was eating.
    Next time I might try adding some veggies because it was a lot of meat and not much else. Esp. if you are avoiding the plums! :)
    LauraB

    ReplyDelete
  2. LauraB - Jeff made a comment how there were quite a few dried plums to go around! I do agree, some veggies would be a great addition!

    ReplyDelete