Thursday, June 09, 2005

Pupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting

Pupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting (Adapted from 2DP)

Cupcake Batter
1 granny smith apple, minced
1 1/2 cups wheat flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 large eggs
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Frosting
8 tablespoons 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons plain yogurt
2 tablespoons honey
2-3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1/2 cup shredded carrots

Preheat oven to 400

To make the cupcake batter

In a large bowl, whisk flour, oatmeal, baking powder, and baking soda until combined.

In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, water, oil, honey and eggs. Mix in the apple and cheese. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.

Evenly distribute the batter between 14 to 16 muffin cups lightly brushed with canola oil. Bake until the muffins spring back when lightly touched in the center - about 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and place pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Carefully remove the muffins and let cool completely.

To make the frosting

In a medium mixing bowl, cream together cream cheese, honey and yogurt until smooth. Sprinkle in the flour, a tablespoon at a time, until it is thick and easy to spread. Top with the shredded carrots and serve as a extra special treat to your pups!

Click here to be taken to the main post

15 comments:

  1. oh, my god. I love it!

    I have this big stack of dog-friendly treats I've bookmarked from your blog, and I keep meaning to make them.

    Doggone it, I absolutely have to try these for my trio!

    Having just gotten mine back after only a week away, I can imagine how good it feels to have them all home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie - I had a blast making these! Spike and Max have been good about not making a mess with these too!

    Sharm - Thanks! I used a large 1M star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Human approved

    Also a good treat for humans!!

    Learned a lesson though that I should watch what I google. Looking for an alternative cream cheese frosting I was brought to this site. Only after a friend read the directions allowed and questioned the PUP-cakes did we find out that it was meant for 4-legged friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon - Good to know... hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe sounds great and I know my two are going to love them! I will be going to a doggie picnic this weekend and I want to make these. Two questions: How do I adust the cooking time for mini muffins and can you suggest a more friendly warm weather frosting for them?

    Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Neddy - I would probably start checking around 6-8 minutes and test for doneness. As far as warm weather frosting, I'm not sure what else you could use that would be safe for the pups!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will defintately try these, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made these for my dog yesterday and he went crazy for them! I hope you don't mind I'm going to copy the recipe into my blog, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. KW - Great! I'm glad your pups enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would you refrigerate these if you had leftovers for later? Part of me says yes but then again I wasn't sure. Looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Robin H - We did since there wasn't a lot of extra sugar added to the cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I plan to make these for our puppy's first birthday. How long do you think these will keep in the fridge? Can I use white whole wheat flour? I don't have regular wheat flour. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Christina - At least a couple days. We quartered our leftovers, then stuck them in the freezer for future treats. White whole-wheat flour would be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for posting this recipe. My puppy loved them! http://twitpic.com/3b3pr9

    ReplyDelete