Friday, July 01, 2005

French Dip Sandwiches

French Dip Sandwiches(Adapted from Rachel Ray)

2 tablespoons butter
1 shallot, finely minced
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 jigger dry sherry
28 oz beef consomme
1 1/2 pounds deli sliced roast beef
Salt and Pepper
4 medium sourdough rolls, split

Heat a large skillet over moderate heat and add the butter. Add shallots to the melted butter and saute 2 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook a minute longer. Whisk in sherry and cook liquid out. Whisk in consomme in a slow but steady stream. Bring sauce to a bubble and allow to simmer over low heat until ready to serve sandwiches.

Place the roast beef in the pan and warm the meat for about 5 minutes. Next, take out the meat and place on a cutting board and season with salt and pepper. Loosely lay the beef on your rolls. Fill 4 bowls with the au jus and serve with the sandwich for dipping.

Serves 4

3 comments:

  1. This does look tasty! The beef eaters in my house would really love this (including me). I think it would also be great for my 16 year old son's birthday party next month....Hmmmm......

    I also find it takes me a bit longer for some of Rachel Ray's recipes, but she provides great recipes for the everyday cook (like me). I just profiled her pumpkin soup on my blog, in fact.

    Your pictures continue to add that extra punch of inspiration, Joe! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this last night, just made one serving for me, the meat eater, & was pleasantly surprised at how good it was....had only beef broth so don't know if that made a difference in the beefy intensity of the au jus.....Very good!!I passed it along to some of my online friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrea and Karen - Thanks! I keep meaning to make this one again - we really liked it!

    ReplyDelete