Friday, July 01, 2005

Wasabi and Panko-Crusted Pork with Gingered Soy Sauce

Wasabi and Panko-Crusted Pork with Gingered Soy Sauce(Adapted from CL)

2/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
4 - 4 ounce boneless center-cut loin pork chops
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
1/3 cup chicken broth
2 tablespoons sake
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon wasabi paste
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions

Take each pork chop and dip in the beaten egg white then dredge in the panko breadcrumbs.

In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and add pork. Cook for 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove pork from pan and sprinkle with salt.

Reduce heat to medium. Add ginger to pan and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. In a small bowl, whisk together broth, sake, soy sauce, sugar and wasabi paste. Add broth mixture to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Stir in green onions. Spoon sauce over pork.

6 comments:

  1. Hi! I tried this recipe tonight and my husband and I loved it. I served it with the Wasabi mashed potatoes (not our favorite but good). I omitted the Sake since I couldn't find it at our local grocery store. It tasted good without it. So if others are having a hard time finding it it wont ruin the dish to leave it out.

    Love the site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya - Cool! Glad you let me know you tried it. I agree, the Wasabi potatoes are good - but I think we have had better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did you find the panko, I don't know where to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anon - I've never had a problem finding it. Sometimes it may be located in the Asian section of your grocery store or even in the organic side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! My wife and I absolutely loved this! Thank-you so much for a very tasty dinner. Instead of frying pork in the pan, I cooked the entire pork loin in the oven after rolling it in the breadcrumbs. Then I sliced it before pouring the sauce on it.

    I prefer it this way as I can better control how done my pork is, but wish there was a way to keep the crumbs crispier. Next time I may try melba toast instead of Panko.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan - very cool! Glad you liked the dish!

    ReplyDelete