Thursday, December 29, 2005

A little sour, kinda salty and just plain good

Since we try so many new and different recipes, I am always on the look out for recipes that I would repeat and that would be guest worthy. I am leary of trying out new recipes on guests because I want to make sure it is something that works and then I can work out any kinks beforehand.

The dish we had tonight is definitely something I would make again for guests. I would probably serve this either as a brunch item or dinner as it seems a little heavy to me for breakfast. Bacon, Gruyère, and Ham Strata is filled with toasted sour breadcubes that keep their shape well and do not turn to mush. A generous amount of cheese gives the top coating a nutty flavor and crispy bacon lends a nice saltiness. To give the ham a little boost in flavor, I did brown it a bit before adding it to the mixture. I find this adds an extra depth of flavor it otherwise would not have.


4 comments:

  1. hope you are enjoying the holiday season...
    good wishes for the 2006 and happy cooking in the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lera - Thanks! Happy New year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incidentally I had potato chowder with gruyere cheese for lunch today. It was great to see this post. I also want to wish you a fabulous New Year. May this wonderfully inspiring blog continue giving us so many wonderful read and recipes. You are brillian!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valentina - Thanks! Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete