Saturday, March 04, 2006

Better the second time around...

It has been at least a couple years since the last time we made a sweet bread pudding. While it was pretty good, I remembered that the texture was a little too soggy and mushy for us. I've been leary about trying other recipes because of the previous experience, but I wanted to give it another try.

Cinnamon Bread Puddings with Caramel Sauce is dead easy to put together and has a much better texture than the other recipe. What I also liked about this one is they are baked in a muffin tin to create a perfect individual portion sized dessert. Using cinnamon swirl bread rather than plain lends just the right amount of cinnamon without having to add the actual spice. The texture is soft, but firm enough to hold the muffin shape quite well.

And of course you can't have this without the sauce! I used a homemade caramel sauce, but to make this even easier you could use a prepared version or even melt down caramel cubes thinned with milk.

Netflix sent us The Brothers Grimm with Matt Damon and Heath Ledger. We wanted to see this in the theater when it was first released, but never got the chance to go. I already have plans about the upcoming week's menu even without going through the to-try piles, which could be dangerous! Stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. nice stuff.....been enjoying ur post since i chanced upon ur url..

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm. these look like they might make a good breakfast with maple syrup...

    ReplyDelete
  3. foodcrazee - Thank you!

    EP - We did actually try them with Maple syrup (not at breakfast though) and they were so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I also dislike the soggier versions so will keep this one in mind the next time I get a hankering. The muffin cup is convenient too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for reminding me of these -- I remember loving them when CL originally published them. How'd you like the Brothers Grimm?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darlamay - I agree, I loved the idea of using muffin cups!

    Culinarily curious - We both liked it - I thought it was going to be a more serious movie though!

    ReplyDelete