Monday, March 20, 2006

Oozing with love...

We have done a stuffed meatloaf before that we both really enjoyed. When I spotted the recipe for tonight's dinner, I was attracted to it because of how much we liked the other recipe. This one looked like it would be a bit more flavorful though.

Santa Fe Meat Loaf starts out with a combination of ground turkey breast and 7% fat ground turkey. While you could use all breast meat, it may end up being a bit drier if you didn't have the extra fat from the mixed ground turkey. Roasted red bell peppers are sautéd with garlic, onions, and some smokey spices, that when cooled are mixed with the meat. This layered dish has a gooey center from a blended mix of mozzarella, cheddar and monterey jack cheese. To help moisten the meat and for a hot glaze on top, I used a spicy chipotle salsa - but if you want to tame it down, feel free to use a more mild version. Even though there are 6 crumbled bacon slices inside, I felt the flavor from them was lost since it was quite spicy and cheesy. I think the chili powder and cumin brought enough smoky flavor that I would just leave out the bacon next time. Eating for One is having a meatloaf blogging event during the month of March - make sure to check it out!


7 comments:

  1. Oh man, I always spot meatloaf at whole foods in the ready to eat section and think, mmmmm, I want to try that. I 've liked meatloaf the one time I really had it, but this turkey version sounds divine. I pretty much throw turkey sausage and turkey meat in everything these days. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I am the only person in my household that likes meatloaf though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, the oozing cheese would be great. I know you don't do events too often, but there's a March Meatloaf Madness event that you might be interested in sending this in to, over at Eating for One's site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, Cate beat me to it, but since you have made 2 different meatloaves this month, would you like to join the madness. It seems like you are having your own madness over here, join if you want!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man that looks tastey, I've never seen anything like it! May have to give this a try sometime!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Look at that melted cheesy center - irresistable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mona - Give it a try! There are so many versions out there!

    Patti - Bah - it made a great sandwich!

    Cate - I can never keep up with all of these events - thanks for clueing me in on this one!

    Heather - Thanks! I will check it out

    Cameradawktor - Please do! Let me know what you think!

    Mebeth - The cheese stuffing totally makes this!

    ReplyDelete