Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Fresh and healthy dinner...

The last few times we have done tofu, it was more down the list of ingredients rather than being the main portion. Tonight's dinner on the other hand, uses tofu steaks dipped in a flavorful coating and then simply pan-fried as the star ingredient.

Coconut-Crusted Tofu with Peach-Lemongrass Salsa begins by making the bright spicy salsa. Fresh chunky pieces of peaches are mixed with red jalapenos, fresh lemongrass, basil, brown sugar, vinegar and salt. If you prefer this to be more mild than spicy, be sure to de-seed the jalapenos. The tofu is cut into steaks and then coated in a mixture of unsweetened coconut, flour and cornstarch to create a crisp golden crust. Jeff thought we should have added a little more of something to the coconut mixture, as the tofu was still kind of bland... but this was somewhat expected as the only seasoning was salt. We did both agree that the blandness was a good match for the sweet lemon scented salsa. When you drain the tofu, be sure to use a few layers of paper towels to get out as much extra moisture as you can for a firm texture. Very fresh, healthy and a fairly quick weeknight meal.

Recipes

10 comments:

  1. a sweet soy sauce or other liquid-based marinade might do better than salt, which tofu doesn't absorb well. of course, not too much to overpower with the very interesting salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joe - I would have never thought of crusting tofu with coconut! Thanks for the idea. I took an Indian cooking class once where we made vegetables stuffed with a mix of fresh grated coconut, Asian chile pepper, garlic, and cilantro. You've inspired me to try it with tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pan fried is about the only way I dig tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds lovely - always looking for new tofu ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been big on tofu outside the confines of various eastern Asian restaurants. You actually make it look appealing. Still, I think I'll just admire the photo rather than try the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. edmama - Thanks for the suggestion - I like that idea!

    Ed - That sounds like a fun class! I'll be watching to see if you try it

    Wheresmymind - we liked it better this way than some others!

    Spinsterwitch - Glad you liked it!

    Peper - Thank you for the great compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen this recipe over on the CL BB, so I am glad to see your fantastic photo! I am bumping this up on my to-try list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tanya - much better than we expected too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you have started to offer more "reviews" and criticisms of your culinary adventures. I love your range of recipes, and your lovely photos provide a great sense of how the dishes will come out -- but I always want to know your opinion and advice now that you have made and eaten the meals. I am not asking you to personalize your blog more than you are comfortable (it's refreshing not to have to sift through stories about taking your cat to the vet and what your favorite brand of bath soap is...) -- I just want the benefit of your expertise!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michele - Thanks! I responded more on your comment to the frittata ribbons. Could you send me an e-mail if you need a better explaination (at a hotel early Saturday morning and still groggy!) :)

    ReplyDelete