Sunday, June 25, 2006

Lusting for something cold....

Well, the stress level is rising! The packers are coming to box everything up in under 11 days.... time is going by fast. We are still waiting for a contract on the house here in Phoenix since the first one fell through, but we have had quite a few showings this past week. I hope we get something going before we have to leave an empty house behind! At least I can keep myself busy in the kitchen - we made 11 new recipes this week. The standouts for us would be the Roasted Garlic, Tomato, and Basil Squares and Dark Chocolate Raspberry Breakfast Muffins.

It is wicked hot here today... even though it is cloudy this afternoon, it got to almost 115. Not fun when you need to get your grocery shopping done! I would usually post a picture of something we plan on using this week, but instead I'll talk about something icy cold I just made to try and get some relief from the heat.

Easy Fruit Ice Cream is not a true ice cream, but it is dead easy and boy did it ever hit the spot. This is a mixture of vanilla soy milk, powdered sugar, a small box of instant pudding mix and a ton of frozen fruit. I used a combination of blueberries, marionberries and raspberries and the pudding was a white chocolate mix. All of the ingredients are placed in a food processor and in just a minute you can enjoy the smooth concoction. The instant pudding mix adds some flavor, but also provides a creamy mouthfeel and helps to keep that "icy" texture from forming. Right out of the processor, it was at soft-serve consistency and easily held its shape. I used a cookie scoop to show how it held its form, but I did place these in the freezer for a few minutes so we could take a picture without them melting. If you do prefer a more firm texture, scoop it into a bowl, cover and place in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes. Ahh... I feel much better already!


15 comments:

  1. This would be perfect for sugar high friday( still accepting entries until next Friday) The theme is soy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. before you guys leave, you must try pizziaria bianco. Its famous. It has the best pizza in the southwest. I think its near sky harbor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. It reminds me of a sorbet in texture. It has been so rainy here in Maryland for the last several days that it seems like the sun will never shine.

    Good luck getting the house sold. I am sure you will have a contract soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joe, your photographs are great and the food as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read about the heat out there and I don't know how you do it! My brother left Phoenix just 4 months ago for the wonderful humidity of Eastern PA--which is worse? I can never decide.

    The recipes (as usual) look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And here I've been whining about 95! I've been meaning to ask you -- have you seen Mrs. Henderson Presents with Judi Dench? She is so wickedly funny to me. It's a hoot. Also, Saving Grace.
    P.S. That ice cream shot is fantastic. What editing software are you using? I need to do more with that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Randi - Thanks for the heads up - I'll have to check it out, but I thought I missed the deadline!

    Linda - Yes, kind of like a sorbet! I hope the new house has not floated away yet - we have been hearing about all of the rain!

    Steven - Thank you!

    Anne - Hmm... I'll say that I will take the humidity for now, of course that may change once we get out there!

    Janice - We did see that - and what a great movie! We just use the software that came with the camera if we need to crop anything.

    Heather - Thanks - your puppy icon is too cute!

    Barbara - it was! So tempting to make more, but I need the berries for something else!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I discovered another god use for this recipe - double the soy milk (approx, I'm not one for measuring things) and this becomes a great quick 'first thing in the morning, I really don't want to cook' breakfast. Yummy and nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lincoln - Thanks! Glad to hear you like the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I stumbled across this a day or two ago and we made two batches last night - one with peaches and vanilla pudding, and the other with chocolate pudding and cherries. This is amazingly easy and delicious, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenipurr - Oh, I love your combos! The chocolate/cherry one sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. can a gelatin packet be substituted for the pudding mix? And can honey be substituted for the sugar? Want to modify this recipe for specific carbohydrate diet. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anon - I'm not sure, you'd have to play around with the mixtures. Honey is liquid and doesn't have the extra cornstarch confectioners' sugar has. I'm also not sure how you would work gelatin into this either.

    ReplyDelete