Friday, June 30, 2006

We might start clucking soon....

You may have noticed we were a touch heavy with chicken dishes this week. As I'm working through the stock in the freezer, I noticed today I still have 2-3 pounds left... so the chicken theme may have to continue for a couple days next week!

Tonight for dinner we had Spicy Chicken Cakes with Horseradish Aioli. I did have to make a slight change to the Aioli though - I was not about to buy a whole bottle of horseradish to use two teaspoons and throw the rest away, since we leave next week. Instead, I ended up using Wasabi powder mixed with a bit of water, which explains the light green hue! The chicken patties are a mixture of fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs, green onions, mayonnaise, cajun seasoning, salt and an egg to help hold the mixture together. I was not sure if they were seasoned enough and since I was not about to taste it raw, I took a tip from Sara Moulton and quickly cooked a small ball of the mixture to see how it tasted.

I couldn't taste too much of the cajun seasoning, so I upped it some from the original recipe and then continued on. When you are combining the mixture for the cakes, be sure to not overmix the chicken - you want everything combined, but not turned to mush. The patties are pan fried just until no longer pink in the center to keep them juicy and then served with the garlicky and spicy Aioli. The Aioli recipe does not make too much, so if you like things a little saucy, be sure to double the recipe. Next time, the devil in me might be a little tempted to add a couple dashes of Franks Red Hot to the chicken mixture to kick up the heat in the patties!


4 comments:

  1. Yum. I thnk this is one DH would definitely love - especially "kicked up!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I check out your blog often, and I really like how you describe your how you make your yummy culinary delights. Thanks and continue being creative in the kitchen!
    - 20-year-old Torontonian who likes to bake/make desserts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kalyn - Thanks! I have some leftovers in the freezer that I can't wait to reheat!

    Cyndi - I wish I would have added it, but I didn't want to just in case it would be too much...

    Anon - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete