Saturday, July 15, 2006

Quick and easy dinner while we unpack...

We are currently sitting in the middle of what feels like 300 half opened boxes as we slowly unpack and start the whole move-in proccess. The cable people showed up yesterday and we have internet access again - hooray! I guess we have some signal issue in the house, so we can't have TVs where we want them just yet. Unfortunely, no sign of our camera yet, but we are hoping for the best. It could be a little slow around here until we either find it or bite the bullet and buy a new one. We should be up and running again by the end of this week at the latest - we need to get some grocery shopping done and check out some of the farmers markets to stock up! Oh... and 1.1 acres takes a fairly long time to mow... even with a riding mower! What a change from our postage sized piece of lawn in Phoenix! I apologize for being a few days behind replying to comments, I will do my best to get caught up tomorrow afternoon.

I actually did the same recipe for dinner tonight that I made for a lunch before we left.... so at least we have a picture to share! Tabbouleh Chicken Salad is a light and filling salad with the bulk of it coming from bulgar. While I soaked the wheat in hot chicken stock, I cooked the chunked chicken breast in a tangy dressing of fresh lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and salt. After the chicken and bulgar is mixed together, the salad is tossed with nutty garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas), cool fresh cucumbers, juicy tomatoes, green onions, parsley and a punch of flavor from mint round out the dish. The remaining dressing brightens the flavors and keeps the salad moist. This was fairly low matinence to make and was a welcome change as we get back to eating normally.


14 comments:

  1. so extremely psyched for your move-in. it can be very fun (and stressful!) to have the pieces fall into place again. we have a similar chick pea salad here all the time -- minus the time-intensive bulgar (or is it?)

    have fun!
    (ground control to camera...state your position!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the new house, Joe! And while I'm sure everything is all over the place now, just think how lovely it will be when you're fully moved in, all unpacked with the house in order!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edmame - It took about 35 minutes for the bular to soak up the liquid, but since you need time to do the other prep it was not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay - you're there!

    We have about 1.2 acres and NO riding mower! I did it in 2 shifts the other day - half in the morning and half in the afternoon - but it still almost killed me. Ugh. DH is thinking about a riding mower, but I only see that as cutting into our money to re-do part of our kitchen. ;-)

    Still, after one more mowing, I may have to change my mind - especially in this awful heat.

    I also hear you on the paperwork - we probably killed off 2 forests between 3 closings in one year and all of the moving boxes/paper.

    Congratulations Joe! Good luck unpacking and much happiness in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this salad looks awesome. i'll be making this one for sure this summer! good luck with the move.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on the move!

    I adore tabbouleh and this recipe looks fabulous, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you're officially in. That darned camera better show up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tabouli is one of my all-time favorite go-to dishes -- it's so easy to make, and everybody loves it!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and answering my question! I would love some examples of recipes you've made from the book -- I'm curious what the yields look like for different kinds of recipes.

    Good luck unpacking and hope the camera turns up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joe - 300 boxes?!? Damn, y'all have a lot of stuff. heh heh. Have fun with the unpacking. Hopefully your camera turns up in one of the boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooo yummy yummy, will try this and add avocado! mmm avocado! Happy unpacking guys, Dont forget lots of cool refreshments during breaks :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you all are finally settling in. When do you get the dogs and the cat back? I'm sure you can't wait.

    Happy unpacking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope the unpacking is going well. You amaze me. In the middle of a move, you cook and you cook such wonderful looking meals.
    Good luck with finding the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, I'm new to your blog and commenting here for the first time. I tried your meatloaf recipe and it was SCRUMPTIOUS!!!!!!!! Thank you sooo much for giving me the ULTIMATE recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alysha - Invest in the mower, it is so worth it!

    Amel - Thanks!

    Kickpleat - We really enjoyed it - very fresh and tasty!

    Anne - Thank you!

    Crystal - I know =( grr!

    Catherine - I will try to dig up some links!

    Ed - Okay... maybe not exactly 300, but it sure felt like it!

    Cat - Avocado would be a fun addition!

    Barbara - This weekend!!

    Tammy - Thank you!

    Nabeela - Glad you like the recipe!

    ReplyDelete