Wednesday, July 11, 2007

An underutilized grain...

I've had an unopened package of wild rice in the pantry for what seems like forever... I bought it for a specific recipe awhile ago and never ended up making it. I notice it every time I'm browsing the pantry to see what we need at the market, but I guess I just don't see it called for often enough or I forget to specifically look for a recipe that uses the dark grain. When I was menu planning this past weekend, I finally buckled down and found this Wild Rice and Summer Succotash Salad to make.

You could stretch this into 6 servings if you want to use it as a light side, but we portioned it out into 4 for a main dish. Since you need to wait around as the wild rice takes a good 40 to 45 minutes to cook, you are left with plenty of downtime to get the rest of the prep work for the dish done. A piquant combination of red wine vinegar, fresh parsley, Dijon mustard, fresh basil, green onions, fresh thyme, garlic and olive oil coats this salad with a fiercely tangy dressing. I changed a couple of the mix-ins around in the salad - it originally called for green beans and frozen lima beans, but I used fresh green peas and some edamame we already had in the freezer. The rest of the salad gets a bit of crunch from diced red bell peppers, celery and red onion with vibrant plum tomatoes lending a spark of color. Served on a bed of crisp romaine lettuce with a smattering of toasted almonds on top, the wild rice brings a delicious toothsome texture with a rich nutty flavor. This dish reminded me just how much I like this grain and I will have to keep my eye out for more ways to use the rest of my stash up.

Wild Rice Succotash Salad


  1. Succotash kind of interests me. I'd never really thought about it before. I know it's southern. What makes it succotash? Lima beans? Corn?

  2. Joe, one good thing about moving back to Minneasota is you'll be able to get 100% wild rice. WARNING: If you stop blogging I will hunt you down and hurt ya. God be with you and Jeff.

  3. Emilie - Yes, it is typically made with Lima Bean and Corn.

    Oldduffy - I know, I can't wait to get back. No worrys, we don't plan on stopping anytime soon!