Saturday, November 24, 2007

More biscotti with some new additions...

With all of the cooking and baking we've been doing the last week, the last thing I needed to do was bake some more, but when has that ever stopped us? I had a handful of dried cherries from a bag that we have been snacking from and made one of our all-time favorite treats - biscotti!

We've made quite a few different varieties if you've ever looked in the biscotti section of our recipe area on the left hand side of the blog, but the Orange-Infused Cherry-Almond Biscotti I made today was a new-to-us flavor combination for these crisp cookies.

Orange-Infused Cherry-Almond BiscottiThe dough was a little drier and crumbly than I'm used to at first - most of the other biscotti we've made have been fairly sticky when you get to the point of moving the logs to the baking sheets. It may not look like it will be cohesive when all the ingredients are added, but the dough does come together once you scoop it out of the mixing bowl and knead it a couple times. The texture of these cookies was in between those rock hard biscotti that need to be dunked to be enjoyed and the softer type that has a few tablespoons of butter.

Orange-Infused Cherry-Almond BiscottiI found that the logs did not spread nearly as much either, so if you like a shorter biscotti, you may want to pat the dough down a bit. Almond extract, fresh orange juice and orange zest add a bright note with the cherries adding a bit of sweetness and chew. The recipe called for slivered almonds, but I chopped whole almonds instead for added crunch. These would be good to give away as gifts drizzled or dipped in a bit of melted white chocolate.

6 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to try these--I love biscotti and love that you have so many recipes for it! I gave out a variety of biscotti as holiday gifts last year--and some of them were your recipes--everyone really enjoyed them!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney - I can't get enough biscotti! So many different ways to incorporate different tastes and textures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look yummy, Joe. Sadly, though, I don't have an oven (NO OVEN!!!) here in corporate housing. Sigh. I'll just copy and paste this recipe until I can finally make these at a later time. BTW, your Thanksgiving dessert from this year (and the previous years, too) looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another biscotti lover here. I really have to try one of your recipes. I have to prepare 7 dozens cookies for an exchange, so I think 1 dozen will be biscottis. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe, can you tell me which biscotti recipe you prefer? I will make it for my next cookie exchange. Tonight I'm making your Rolled Chicken Breasts Stuffed with Prosciutto and Barley, I'll let you know how it went.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mindy - I know how you feel! I hope you can get out of the corporate housing soon!

    Helene - I don't think I could choose a favorite out of our biscotti list!

    ReplyDelete