Monday, September 01, 2008

Black-Eyed Pea Cakes with Adobo Cream...

Tonight I was not going to have much time to prep for dinner, so I took a few extra minutes this morning to throw together these Black-Eyed Pea Cakes with Adobo Cream.

These bean-y patties are a mixture of black-eyed peas, breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, cumin and an egg, along with an extra egg white, to give them some strength to hold their shape. Before you dump everything in the bowl, give the beans a partial mash with a potato masher (or a fork) to add a creamy element.

I found the bean mix to be a little moist at this point, so I just divided the mixture into 4 parts, scooped them out onto baking sheet and shaped them into their round patty form with wet fingertips. Covered, I then left them in the refrigerator to chill until I was ready for them this evening. The original recipe didn't call for this step, but I think they benefited from the rest as they firmed up well, which made the cooking process a bit easier as they were not as delicate. Cooked in a slick of olive oil until each side is crisp, the savory cakes are topped with a little Mexican-blend cheese (Monterey Jack would also work well) that quickly melts from the residual heat. We liked how their crisp outsides yielded to a creamy, tender center without being mushy. While we thought they could stand alone as is, a dollop of sour cream, married with a touch of adobo sauce, brought an extra layer of flavor that we thought was a welcoming finish without adding a spicy distraction. We had this with a side of brown basmati rice, but feel free to dress them up as you like!

3 comments:

  1. I bet these would be great on a bun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Those sound great! I wonder if a flax-egg replacer would work in place of the egg (and tofu sour cream in place of the sour cream)? I will have to try it and find out!

    Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  3. LB - Yes and would make them more filling as well!

    Courtney - I've never used flax as a substitute for an egg, but I've read that it works well!

    ReplyDelete